Concurrent field work
Concurrent field work is sacrosanct to any course in social work. Students are placed in an agency appropriate to their learning requirements as part of concurrent field work. On an average, each student is required to put in 14 hours of field work in a week. In addition to the concurrent field work, observational visits to development agencies are organized for students, usually at the beginning of each academic session.
Following are the agencies/communities that partner with the Institute for concurrent field work placements and observational visits of students:
OUR PARTNERS FOR SOCIAL WORK PRACTICUM IN NAGPUR
a. Open Community Setting :
(For CSW Part I and CSW Part II)
- Pandharbodi Slum Community
- Kachipura Slum Community
- Jaitala Slum Community
- Khamla Slum Community
(For BSW Part II and BSW Part III)
- ICDS Centres Under Bal Vikas Prakalp Adhikari, Nagari Prakalp-2, Gandhi Nagar – (Somwaripeth-2; Sakkardara-3; Sakkardara-16; Nandanwan-4; Nandanwan-7; Juni Shukrawari-10; Shivaji Nagar-11; Golibar Chowk-43; Golibar Chowk-51; Hansapuri-61; Bhaldarpura-63; Bhaldarpura-67; Somalwada-69; Somalwada-70; Pandhrabodi-77; Pandhrabodi-78; Pandhrabodi-79; Pandhrabodi-80; Telangkedi-81; Telangkedi-82; Dharampeth-97; Dharampeth-98; Kachipura-99; Kachipura-100; Jaitala-102; Jaitala-103)
- Labour Welfare Centres Under Deputy Welfare Commissioner’s Office, Raje Raghuji Nagar – (LWC-Hingna; LWC-Cotton Market; LWC-Tulsibagh; LWC-Om Nagar; Lalit Kala Bhavan-Indora; Lalit Kala Bhavan-Chandan Nagar)
b. Schools – Under Education Officer, Nagpur Municipal Corporation :
(For BSW Part I)
- Ayodhyanagar Wiarami Prathmik Shala, Ayodhyanagar.
- Juna Sakkardara Marathi Prathmik Shala, Sakkardara.
- Chandan Nagar Bodhisatva Marathi Prathmik Shala, Chandan Nagar.
- Swargiya Sakhale Guruji Marathi Prathmik Shala, Ganeshpeth.
- Tulsi Hindi Prathmik Shala, Sitabuldi.
- Buty Marathi Uchcha Prathmik Shala, Sitabuldi.
- Netaji Market Hindi Prathmik Shala, Sitabuldi.
- Pt. Ravishankar Shukla Hindu Mulanchi Uchcha Prathmik Shala, Sitabuldi.
- Gokulpeth Hindi Prathmik Shala, Gokulpeth.
- Ramdaspeth Mor Hindi Uchcha Prathmik Shala, Ramdaspeth.
- Telankhedi Navin Phutala Marathi Prathmik Shala, Phutala.
- Vivekanand Nagar Marathi Prathmik Shala, Near Khamla.
- Khamla Rana Pratap Nagar Kanya Prathmik Shala, Khamla.
- Parsodi Gopal Nagar Marathi Prathmik Shala, Gopal Nagar.
- Subhash Nagar Marathi Prathmik Shala, Subhash Nagar.
c. Social Welfare Agencies :
(For CSW Part I, BSW Part I, MSW Part I and MSW Part II)
- Ashirwad Kanti, 170, Kekosabag Christian Colony, Near Kadbi Chowk.
- Astha Mahila Cell, Sitabuldi Police Station, Sitabuldi.
- Baba Saheb Kedar Shetkari Sahakari Sutgirni, Vanadongri, Hingna.
- Balashraya and MSS Maternity Home, Mahal.
- Bapuji Bahujan Samaj Kalyan Bahuudheshiya Sanstha (BBSKBS), 9/3, Priyadarshini Colony, Behind RTO, Amravati Road.
- Bapuji Bahujan Samaj Kalyan Bahuudheshiya Sanstha (BBSKBS) Mahila Cell, Ambazari Police Station, Ravi Nagar.
- Bhai Sudam Deshmukh Mahila Cell, Kotwali Police Station, Mahal.
- Bhartiya Adimjati Sewak Sangh, Malviya Nagar, Khamla.
- Blind Relief Society’s School for the Blind, Near Deekshabhoomi.
- Care Hospital, Sitabuldi.
- Childline Collaborative Organization, Near Kela Market, Bajeria.
- Childline Nodal Organization, MSSISW, Bajaj Nagar.
- Churches of North India – Social Services Institute, Near Coffee House, Sadar.
- Community Lifeline Centre Project, Indian Institute of Youth Welfare, 134, Shivaji Nagar.
- Community Project, Bhartiya Adimjati Sewak Sangh, Malviya Nagar, Khamla.
- Destitute Women and Child Development Institute, Tidke Mahavidyalaya Compound, Katol Road.
- Destitute Women and Child Development Institute & Comprehensive Rural Project, Tidke Mahavidyalaya Compound, Katol Road.
- Evangelical Social Action Forum (ESAF), Shriram Society, Gorewada Road.
- Family Counselling Centre - MSSISW (Mahila Cell), Dhantoli Police Station, Dhantoli.
- Family Counselling Centre – Matru Sewa Sangh, MSSISW Campus, Bajaj Nagar.
- Government Regional Institute of Mental Health, Mental Hospital Square, Chindwada Road.
- Helpage India, Parishram Co-operative Society, Narendra Nagar.
- Helpline, Bhartiya Adimjati Sewak Sangh, Malviya Nagar, Khamla.
- Hitguj – Family Counselling Centre, Rana Pratap Nagar Police Station, Trimurti Nagar.
- Home for the Aged and Handicapped, Near Medical Square, Unthakhana.
- Indian Institute of Youth Welfare, 134, Shivaji Nagar.
- Indian Social Service Unit of Education (ISSUE), 138, Misal Layout, Jaripatka-Nara Road.
- Integrated Street Children’s Project - ANBKS, Near Kela Market, Bajeria.
- Janajagruti Slum Centre, Near Kamptee Road Level Crossing, Pandurang Nagar.
- Jeevodaya School for Mentally Challenged, Residency Road, Sadar.
- Kalyan Muk Badhir Mahavidyalaya, Tulsibagh Road, Near Binzani Mahavidyalaya.
- Mahila Cell, Indian Institute of Youth Welfare, Crime Branch Office, Civil Lines.
- Matru Sewa Sangh Maternity Home, Sitabuldi.
- Mayflower School for Mentally Retarded, Kasturbha Bhavan, Bajaj Nagar.
- Nandanvan School for Mentally Challenged (MSS), Abhyankar Road, Sitabuldi.
- Navjeevan De-Addiction Centre, Bhartiya Adimjati Sewak Sangh, Ajni Square.
- Navjeevan Society, Gulshan Nagar Road, Wanjri, Uppalwadi.
- Panchavati Vrudhhashram, Umred Road, Chota Taj Bagh.
- Psychiatric Department, Government Medical College & Hospital, Medical Square.
- Rashtrasant Tukadoji Cancer Hospital, Tukadoji Putala, Manewada Road.
- Rehabilitation Centre for Orthopaedically Handicapped, Matru Sewa Sangh, Sitabuldi.
- Shanti Bhavan, Missionaries of Charity, Katol Road.
- Social Education Centre, YMCA, Near St John’s School, Gaddogodam.
- Varadaan – IAPA, Kasturbha Bhavan, Bajaj Nagar.
- Vasundhara Dudh Dairy, MIDC, Hingna.
- Vishwodaya, St Martin Nagar, Pragati Layout, Jaripatka.
- Vivekananda Medical Mission, Kapri.
- YMCA – HIV-AIDS Project, Sitabuldi.
- Yuva Jyoti – Indian Centre for Integrated Development, St Martin Nagar.
- YUVA – Urban Development Project, Near Bhole Petrol Pump, Dharampeth.
2. Rural Camps
Rural Camps are an Integral Part of the Field Practicum of BSW Part II and MSW part I. The Institute organizes one combined rural camp every year, attendance in which is mandatory for these classes. Besides helping the students to understand the rural social systems and the nature of governmental and non-governmental interventions in relation to poverty groups, such camps also help them in acquiring skills in group living, and improving skills in planning and organizing socially relevant events. The students also undertake activities that are beneficial to rural people during village camps. The villages where such residential camps have been held till date are as follows:
3. Structured Experience Learning (Skill Development Laboratory)
Skill is understood as an expertise and practiced ability. Skills assume importance in any professional practice. Field practicum by and large provides opportunities for students to gain mastery over certain sets of skills that are useful in social work practice. Nonetheless, field experiences in real life situations have certain limitations due to the involvement of the human element, where trial and error methods of learning are not desirable. Classroom teaching on the other hand minimizes student participation and restricts hands-on skills learning. The structured experience learning or ‘skill development laboratory’ provides opportunities to overcome the above limitations.
The Institute provides ample opportunities in structured experience learning. In the skill laboratory, the focus is on the development of skills that are important for social work practice and matching abilities through various types of participatory exercises. Exercises and sessions are conducted to sharpen skills pertaining to : perception; sensitivity; self-awareness; communication; skills for working with individuals, groups and communities; presentation; organization; and administration. The skill-lab provides a safe and supportive environment where students are allowed to make mistakes and learn in a non-threatening atmosphere.